Steve Pavlina’s rules for optimizing the highly creative flow state:
- Define a clear purpose.
- Identify a compelling motive.
- Architect a worthy challenge.
- Provide a conducive environment.
- Allocate a committed block of time.
- Prevent interruptions and distractions.
- Master your tools.
From 2007, but as with many productivity articles, this one stands the test of time. I really need to work on item five. He says that his truly creative output starts in hour two…. most of my creative sessions don’t even last two hours…